Friday, September 21, 2012

UC Riverside Field Day


Last week, BHCC General Manager, Mike Spayd and I attended the University of California Riverside Field Day to see first hand where the turf research in California was headed.  We spent a very hot afternoon looking at drought trials, disease studies, traffic tests, and sodium experiments that directly relate to our work at the club.


I'm a big fan of the work of Dr. Jim Baird and the staff at UCR and to show my support, I serve on the California Turf and Landscape Foundation.  The newly formed foundation raises money for turf research throughout the state.  Golf course maintenance is constantly changing with new innovations, expanding regulations, and new pests and diseases.  To stay ahead of the curve and produce the best possible course conditions, it is vital that superintendents stay up to date on and on the ball.  The additional time requirement and homework is well worth the effort.  I sincerely appreciate working for a club that supports my involvement in these programs.  



At the end of this day, I was also very happy to work at a club that is in San Diego and not Riverside, CA.  It was HOT!!!!   Good place to study turf problems, but I'll stay down here where it is cool and comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment