Friday, April 5, 2013

High School Match Improves Course Conditions

Believe it or not, the course is better after their round.  Last Wednesday, our resident high school squad, the Rancho Bernardo Broncos played a nine hole match against the Nighthawks of Del Norte High.  Later that afternoon, I was out checking irrigation coverage and planning a few projects when I ventured upon the third tee and noticed something out of the ordinary.



Each and every divot was properly filled with sand.  This is quite unusual, especially at the end of a very busy day.  There is actually one divot that isn't filled, but that one is from my shot and I followed the young players' example and filled it after snapping this photo.

Later on, as I toured the course, I noticed a complete lack of ball marks on the greens.  The Broncos and the Nighthawks must have been fixing multiple ball marks besides their own, effectively improving course conditions during their round.

Occasionally, members will voice concern over the impact of high school team practice or events and the potential negative effects on the course.  In my experience, at multiple courses, these teams promote excellent etiquette and appreciation towards the grounds and club facilities.  I gladly welcome the teams to BHCC and hope they one day, come back as members with the same respect for the work we do.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Jim. I think it is great to have these terrific young people play at BHCC. Both the boys' and girls' teams are wonderful kids, and great golfers. And it is important for BHCC to have a positive impact on the community. Thanks for pointing this out.

    ReplyDelete